Our Top Tips For When You Travel With The Kids
When it comes to summer holidays, there is a lot of planning involved. Booking the flights and the hotels is the easiest part. Actually planning how you will travel to and from the destination is the tough part, especially when you have kids.
Don’t worry though, we’ve come up with some tips to help make everything run smoother and stop the kids from crying and asking “are we there yet?”
Are you going to travel with young children? These tips are for you:
- Take your time when you travel and never rush anywhere. The only way to make this a possibility is to thoroughly plan when you are going to leave. Ensure you have extra time in case of road accidents or diversions.
- It is almost guaranteed that the kids will get hungry on the journey. Make sure you pack some sweet snacks such as fruit and savoury foods like breadsticks, cheese and even bagels. Chocolate bars and sugary sweets are never a good idea as there is nothing worse than travelling with a child in the middle of a sugar rush.
- A great idea is to buy a disposable camera to keep the kids entertained for hours. It gives them the freedom to explore the world safely and they will keep those memories forever. Plus, there may even be a few worthy shots in there!
- Want to keep the children quiet for a long period of time? Bring a portable DVD player or tablet stocked with their favourite TV shows and movies that will last the length of the flight. Not only does this keep the kids preoccupied, it gives you time to relax and unwind too.
Keep the older Children Entertained too:
- While the young ones will likely fall asleep, older children are prone to getting bored on long journeys and that isn’t fun for anyone. Bring along something fun that is suitable for travelling such as word searches, puzzles and maybe even a colouring book or two.
- Find out what kind of activities the kids want to do when you get to your destination. Not only will this keep them from being bored, it will build their excitement and pass the time.
- As it is the 21st Century, a great idea to keep the kids entertained are apps and games on tablets or phones. There are a wide range of free and paid apps that will distract them from the long journey ahead.
The most important tip of all is to have fun and enjoy all that a family holiday brings. Experiences and memories last a lifetime and it is something that your children will remember forever.